Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

How Negligence Is Decided in a Slip and Fall Case

Resting a hurt leg after treatment | slip and fall accident lawyer nyc | Gash & Associates, P.C.

Getting injured in a slip and fall accident can lead to thousands of dollars in medical bills, a loss of wages, and other damages that can, at the very least, cause an inconvenience in your life. In the worst-case scenario, you may not be able to work or pursue your favorite activities anymore.

Thankfully, you can take legal action if it’s determined that the defendant was negligent. First, you’ll need to learn more about how negligence is determined in a case like yours.

Negligence in a Slip and Fall Case

When you are on someone’s property, there is a reasonable duty of care they must provide to you to keep you safe. For instance, this can mean:

  • Picking debris up off the floor
  • Shoveling a sidewalk if it’s covered in snow
  • Making sure light bulbs are fully functioning
  • Putting up “wet floor” signs after mopping
  • Fixing potholes in a road

When an owner fails to stay on top of the reasonable duty of care, and someone who is on their property gets hurt and suffers from an injury, then that owner could potentially become the negligent defendant in a slip and fall case.

Proving Negligence in a Slip and Fall

As soon as your slip and fall occurrs, you should start collecting proof in order to show negligence. Proof includes photographs of the scene of the accident and your visible injuries as well as damage to your belongings. You could also collect witness statements and look for any cameras that would have recorded what happened. Filing an accident report with the owner and going to the hospital immediately are going to help your case as well.

Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you’ve been involved in a slip and fall, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates for help. We assist clients throughout Westchester County and we offer you a free consultation. Get in touch now at (914) 328-8800.