Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

Who Is Responsible When I Slip and Fall on Public Property in New York?

A caution sign on the hallway floor | premises liability attorneys nyc | Gash & Associates, P.C.

When you slip and fall, you can become seriously injured. At the very least, you may experience back pain that stops you from being able to perform your everyday tasks.

If you slipped and fell on public property, you may be wondering: Who is responsible? Find out, and then hire a personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim.

The Property Owner

If you slipped and fell while you were shopping – for example, you were in a store or a parking lot – then the property owner would be responsible. However, you’ll have to prove that the duty of care was on them to make sure that you didn’t slip and fall, and you did anyway. You also got injured because they were neglectful. If you were responsible for your fall, say, because you weren’t paying attention, it could be harder to get a settlement for your claim.

The Government

If you were at a public park, at a bus stop, walking on a public sidewalk, or otherwise on government property, then the government might be responsible for your slip and fall. Keep in mind that you’ll need to pursue a claim with the government ASAP, since the statute of limitations is much shorter. Also, claims are harder to make, so you’ll need to have an experienced lawyer on your side when you file it.

Reaching Out to a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you need representation after slipping and falling in New York, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County. We offer free consultations. Reach us now by calling (914) 328-8800.