Can I Sue After Being Injured in a Slip & Fall Accident?

Man Falling On The Ground | Slip and Fall Accident Attorneys in NYC | Gash & Associates, P.C.

You were recently out shopping when you slipped, fell, and became injured. Or, perhaps you were walking in a parking lot when you tripped and fell because of a pothole. No matter what the circumstances were surrounding your trip and fall accident, you could potentially sue the person who was responsible for your injury.

Suing for a Slip and Fall

If you slipped, fell, and became injured and it wasn’t your fault, you may be able to sue the responsible party if you can prove a few things. You’ll need to show that the person you think was responsible – i.e. a store owner or property owner – had a duty of care to you. They were supposed to keep you safe while you were on their property. However, they did not reasonably do that, and that led to you slipping, falling, and getting injured.

Slip Fall

Examples of Legitimate Slip and Fall Cases

You can’t sue for just anything – you need to have a legitimate slip and fall case. For example, let’s say a store owner had a cracked or damaged floor that they didn’t replace for months at a time. You fell because of it and hurt yourself. This would be legitimate.

However, if a child spilled some water and three minutes later, you slipped on it, it is not reasonable to expect that the store owner knew about it and should have acted that quickly. Also, if you were responsible for your slip and fall – for example, you were distracted because you were texting – your case may not hold up.

You’ll need to contact a personal injury lawyer to discuss the details of your case and determine if you’re able to sue. Keep in mind that the statute of limitations on personal injury is three years in New York, so you’d have to sue before that timeframe runs out.

Contacting a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you need representation for a slip and fall injury, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County. We offer free consultations. Reach us now by calling (914) 328-8800.