Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

How a New York Lawyer Can Help After a Wrongful Discharge

Wrongful termination by employer | employment discrimination lawyer nyc | Gash & Associates, P.C.

When an employer files you for an illegal reason, this is called wrongful termination, or wrongful discharge. With the help of a New York lawyer, you could potentially sue your employer and receive applicable damages.

All About Wrongful Discharge

You got fired, and you believe the reason for your firing was not legal. While employers have the right to hire and fire who they want, they cannot fire employees for certain reasons, including:

  • Race discrimination
  • Discrimination based on your sex, gender identity, and more
  • Retaliation for workers’ comp claims
  • Retaliation for whistleblower claims
  • Sexual harassment
  • Wage and hour violations
  • Hostile work environment

If any of these apply to you, then you may be able to sue your employer. For instance, perhaps you told your employer you plan on taking maternity leave because you’re giving birth soon, and a week after you told them, you got fired. They may have been discriminating against you for being pregnant. Or, let’s say you reported them to OSHA because they were violating the law, and then you got fired for that. That would be retaliation, which is not allowed.

How a New York Lawyer Can Help

If you hire a New York lawyer, they will review the facts of your case and let you know if you could sue for wrongful discharge and receive damages like the repayment of lost wages. These cases can be tricky since most employment in New York is at-will, however, you may have a valid case on your hands.

Contacting a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you need representation for a wrongful discharge, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County. We offer free consultations. Reach us now by calling (914) 328-8800.