Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

Can I Sue My Employer for a Work Injury in New York?

An employee broke his leg while on the job | work accidents lawyer in NY | Gash & Associates, P.C.

When you get injured on the job, typically, you’ll go through workers’ comp to pay for your medical treatment. Employers have workers’ comp insurance to ensure that you cannot sue them when you get hurt at work.

However, if a third party injures you at your workplace in New York, then you could possibly sue that third party. By learning about this kind of lawsuit, you may be able to recover compensation for your medical bills, loss of wages, and other damages.

What Counts as a Third-Party Injury?

If you are injured while doing your job, then you’d usually go through workers’ comp. But if there was a third party involved and your employer was not at fault, then you may be able to initiate a personal injury lawsuit.

For instance, if you drive a company car and a person hits you and injures you, then you might have a case. Additionally, you could have a lawsuit on your hands if a contractor, client, or another third party came into your workplace and hurt you. For example, the UPS guy may have dropped a very heavy package on your foot and broken it. Or, if you went to run an errand for your employer and you slipped and fell on someone’s property, you could potentially sue.

What to Do if You’re Injured

If you suffer from a third-party injury while on the job, you need to collect evidence that shows what happened including photographs, witness statements, and video footage, if possible. If a car accident occurred, make sure you get a police report. Then, go to the hospital for a full checkup and call a personal injury lawyer ASAP.

Getting in Touch With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you were injured on the job in New York and a third party was involved, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County and we offer free consultations. Reach us now by calling (914) 328-8800.