Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

Common Spine Injuries from Car Accidents

Doctor reviews an X-ray image of the spine | motor vehicle accident lawyer | Gash & Associates, P.C.

Getting into a car accident can be particularly devastating if you suffer a spine injury. These injuries could paralyze you and cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars in lifelong care. You may have to get multiple surgeries, install medical equipment in your home, go to physical therapy, take medication, and hire carers just to get by from day to day.

Here are some spine injuries that happen in car accidents, as well as information on contacting a personal injury lawyer to get you the compensation you deserve.

Cervical Radiculopathy

Cervical radiculopathy occurs when there is disc herniation or a pinched nerve in the neck. The pain from this injury could extend to your back, neck, arms, hands, and upper shoulders. Aching, tingling, numbness, and a burning sensation are common symptoms that can last for years on end.

Spinal Cord Injury

A spinal cord injury happens when the spinal cord is severed or the nerves at the end of the spinal canal are damaged, and it can lead to someone becoming paralyzed. Treatment such as rehabilitation as well as steroid drugs can be used if someone has this injury.


Sciatica happens when someone has a herniated disc, and it can cause pain in the spine as well as the back of the leg. Heat therapy and exercise can be used to treat it.

Soft Tissue Damage

When your neck, shoulders, head, and arms are jerked during a car accident, it can lead to soft tissue damage. Tissue and ligaments may tear. The best way to treat this is with rest, elevation, compression, and ice, and by seeing a massage therapist or chiropractor.

Getting in Touch With a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you are suffering from a spine injury because of a car accident, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County. We offer free consultations, so get in touch now by calling (914) 328-8800.