Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

How Do I Obtain a Copy of My Traffic Accident Report After an Auto Accident?

Man contacts his car insurance provider | motor vehicle accidents law firm | Gash & Associates, P.C.

Following an auto accident, it’s crucial that you call the police and create a traffic accident report. Then, you’ll have more evidence of the accident and a greater chance of getting a suitable settlement. However, you need to know how to get that report.

Obtaining Your Traffic Accident Report

In Westchester County, you can get a copy of your traffic accident report by going to county police headquarters between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for holidays. There, you will request the report and fill out the Privacy Act Certification form.

You can also request a copy of your traffic accident report through the mail. Simply include a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a photocopy of your driver’s license when sending it in to police headquarters. There is no charge for either method.

Other Evidence Needed for an Accident

Along with filing a traffic accident report and getting a copy of it from the police, you should take photographs of the scene of the accident, including the other driver’s car and license plate. Ask for the other driver’s insurance and contact information, too. Gather witness statements from people who saw what happened and note the locations of any cameras in case you can collect the footage. It’s critical to go to the hospital right away and to later gather your medical records to prove that you went in for treatment. Staying on top of your treatment and following your doctor’s orders is going to show that you have injuries and you took them seriously.

Contacting a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you need representation after getting into an automobile accident, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County. We offer free consultations. Reach us now by calling (914) 328-8800.