What Is a Reasonable Settlement for Discrimination?

Handwritten Phrase Of Type Of Workplace Discrimination | Lawyers in NYC | Gash & Associates, P.C.

Your workplace is supposed to be a professional environment. Unfortunately, your boss or coworker has made discriminatory comments or acted in a discriminatory manner towards you, making going to work uncomfortable. You’re wondering if there is some kind of legal claim you can make to ensure that you won’t be discriminated against anymore and possibly receive a settlement. If so, what kind of settlement could you receive?

Here’s some more information.

Settlements for Discrimination in the Workplace

Each discrimination suit is different, so there is no average or reasonable settlement you could receive. But if you’re dealing with a certain type of case, then you could receive more, such as punitive damages. For instance, if you were discriminated against for your disability and you file a claim under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you could possibly receive punitive damages, which could amount to a higher settlement. But with other types of discrimination, you may only be able to receive compensatory damages like loss of wages and medical expenses.

Filing a Lawsuit at the Federal Level

If you file your lawsuit at the federal level, there are statutory limits for the amount you could possibly receive. If an employer has between 15 and 100 employees, the limit is $50,000. If they have between 101 and 200 employees, it’s $100,000, and if they have between 201 and 500 employees, it’s $200,000. If the employer has more than 500 employees, the limit is $300,000.

The only way you’ll be able to gauge whether or not you could file a discrimination lawsuit in the first place is to call up a lawyer.

Reaching Out to a Lawyer

If you were discriminated against at work and want to file a legal claim, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County and we offer free consultations. Reach out today by calling (914) 328-8800.