Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

Frequently Asked Questions About New York Employment Discrimination

new york employment discrimination faqs | employment discrimination lawyer | Gash & Associates, P.C.

You believe that you were discriminated against at work, but you aren’t sure. After all, what are the employment discriminations laws anyway? Learn more about this topic and then decide whether or not you want to hire a lawyer for help.

What Constitutes Employment Discrimination?

Employment discrimination happens when your employer discriminates against you for a protected factor, like your race, sex, age, religion, gender identity, disability, or pregnancy status.

What Does Employment Discrimination Look Like?

Employment discrimination can take many forms, including the following:

  • Your boss makes a joke about your race
  • Your employer is not accommodating to your religious practices
  • You were skipped over for a promotion because you’re pregnant
  • Your employer asks you a biased question about your gender identity

Sometimes, it may not be clear whether or not your employer is discriminating against you. It’s best to ask a lawyer about it to get their professional opinion.

Can My Employer Retaliate?

Your employment is at-will, which means you can quit, or your employer can fire you at any time. However, this firing cannot be connected to your protected identity. If you sue them for discrimination or take some other action in response to discrimination, they cannot retaliate. That would be illegal.

Should I Sue My Employer?

You should consult with a lawyer to figure out if it’s worth suing your employer. If you have a valid case, then it might be a good idea to take legal action.

Reaching Out to a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you need help after facing discrimination at work, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County. We offer free consultations. Reach us now by calling (914) 328-8800.