Personal injury law firm in New York | Experienced Lawyers | Gash & Associates, P.C. Logo and Icon

What Do I Have to Prove in Order to Win a Premises Liability Case?

Worker mops with wet floor caution sign | premises liability attorney nyc | Gash & Associates, P.C.

You were recently injured on someone else’s property, and now you have expensive medical bills to pay. Additionally, you’ve had to take time off work to recover. Now you’re wondering what you can do to bolster your case and hopefully get a settlement.

In order to win your premises liability case, you’ll have to prove the following information.

You Were Hurt

First, you will need to show that you were actually injured. You can do this by collecting your medical records that prove you went in for treatment following your accident.

The Defendant Was Negligent

You’ll have to demonstrate that the defendant who owns the property was negligent. For example, perhaps a store owner didn’t pick up large objects that had fallen into the aisles of their shop. To show this, you can use pictures you took of the scene of the accident, video footage, and witness statements.

The Defendant’s Negligence Caused Your Accident

It’s crucial to show how the defendant’s negligence then led to your injury. For instance, if they didn’t pick up the large objects and you tripped and fell and broke your arm because of it, then that could serve as your proof.

The Defendant Was Responsible for the Property

The defendant has to be someone who was in control of the property where your injury occurred. This could be a store owner who was leasing a property or the property owner who rented out to a tenant, for example. You may be able to name multiple parties who were responsible depending on the situation.

Reach Out to a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you need representation after getting injured on someone’s property, then contact the personal injury firm Gash & Associates. Gash & Associates help clients throughout Westchester County. We offer free consultations. Reach us now by calling (914) 328-8800.